Sunday, October 21, 2012

Beef and Leaf

Koreans are famous for their bbq.  Restaurants that grill and serve sides are called Beef and Leaf.  They grill the meat right at your table with either built in grills or portable grills.  I went out with some friends to Nampo Myeonok a 40 year old restaurant in Gangnam-gu.  We tried Bulgogi 불고기, which means fire meat, and Galbi 갈비, and Gogigui.  On the side we had 5 or 6 different types of Kimchi, some lettuce, and rice.  It was a great meal. 
Bulgogi cooking with mushrooms.  Yummy.

The in-table grill.

 
The drive there was an adventure in and of itself.  I went with my new friend Karen.  She drove, I navigated (I followed the GPS and helped confirm directions).  The GPS took as down some back alleys, steep hills, and round about ways.  There was barely room for the mini van we were driving on some of the roads we took.  Karen and I were laughing so hard by the time we made it to the restaurant.  It was successful though: we made it with out any U-turns and no accidents.

1 comment: